Wave.3 on the Horizon
Posted by Allison Fine on July 22, 2008
Last week I had the pleasure of meeting Juana Ponce de Leon last week. Juana runs the New York Community Media Alliance. The Alliance is a consortium of ethnic newspapers in the New York area. It provides assistance to individual newspapers as well as translates articles for its website from dozens of native languages into English. It’ is a one-of-a-kind organization dedicated to supporting the 1.7 million New York City residents who are non native English speakers or readers. During our discussion, Juana introduced me to a report from Universal McCann, an arm of the ad agency McCann Erickson, on the growth of social media worldwide. You can find the report as a slideshow on Slideshare where there are also really cool presentations on social media, digital identify, the future of social networks, etc. The report, Wave.3, chronicles the growth of various social media worldwide. My few of my favorite tidbits:
* 83% of people are watching online video, an increase from 62% at the time of the last study in June 2007
* 78% of people are reading blogs, an increase from 66% in the previous study
* 57% of internet users are members of social networks
* RSS consumption has increased to 39% from 15%
* 48% of the people surveyed listen to podcasts.
2 Responses to “Wave.3 on the Horizon”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.